Product Informationexpand all collapse all
Ampicillin is an antibiotic in the penicillin group of drugs. It fights bacteria in your body. Ampicillin is used to treat many different types of infections caused by bacteria such as ear infections, bladder infections, pneumonia, gonorrhea, and E. coli or salmonella infections.
How to take
Use Ampicillin as directed by your doctor.
Take Ampicillin by mouth at least 30 minutes before or 2 hours after eating, with a full glass of water (8 oz/240ml). Take Ampicillin on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it, and take it for as long as your doctor instructed you. Do NOT take less or more of your instructed dosage. Taking Ampicillin at the same time each day will help you remember to take it.
To clear up your infection completely, use Ampicillin for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ampicillin.
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most common side effects persist or become bothersome:
- Inflammation and redness of the tongue;
- Irritation of mouth or throat;
- Mild diarrhea; nausea;
- Second infection;
Seek immediate medical attention if any of these serious side effects occur:
- Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue);
- Bloody stools;
- Severe diarrhea;
- Stomach pain/cramps;
- Vaginal irritation or discharge.
If you have any questions about Ampicillin , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider. Ampicillin is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people. If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- If you are allergic to any ingredient in Ampicillin or any other penicillin antibiotic (e.g., amoxicillin).
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a stomach infection, diarrhea, or mononucleosis ("mono")
- if you have had a severe allergic reaction (e.g. severe rash, hives, breathing difficulties, dizziness) to a cephalosporin antibiotic (e.g. cephalexin) or other beta-lactam antibiotic (e.g. imipenem)
Some medical conditions may interact with Ampicillin if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. Be sure to talk to your doctor about this before taking Ampicillin.
Tell your doctor about all other medicines you use, especially:
- Allopurinol (Zyloprim);
- Methotrexate (Rheumatrex, Trexall);
- Probenecid (Benemid);
- A sulfa drug (such as Bactrim or Septra); or
- A tetracycline antibiotic such as demeclocycline (Declomycin), doxycycline (Adoxa, Doryx, Oracea, Vibramycin), minocycline (Dynacin, Minocin, Solodyn, Vectrin), or tetracycline (Brodspec, Panmycin, Sumycin, Tetracap).
This list is not complete and there may be other drugs that can interact with Ampicillin. Tell your doctor about all the prescription and over-the-counter medications you use. This includes vitamins, minerals, herbal products, and drugs prescribed by other doctors. Do not start using a new medication without telling your doctor.
If you miss a dose of Ampicillin and are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Store Ampicillin at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep in a tight, light-resistant container. Keep Ampicillin out of the reach of children and away from pets.
Jake F., 45, Illinos Standard ED Pack (Generic)
“My ED was giving me nightmares! Yes, I could use Viagra but it was too expensive to buy all the time. That’s why I ordered a generic version at Canadian Pharmacy and could not be happier with the results.”
Janine L., 35, Winnipeg Albuterol
“What I like most about this pharmacy is that they deliver very fast and always package it securely so no one knows what I ordered. It is a big deal for someone who has very nosy neighbours.”
Sandra S., 41, Edinburgh Zyban (Generic)
“It is nice and affordable to buy meds here. I only needed some pills to stop smoking, but I can see they have lots of offers in other categories too. I think I found a perfect pharmacy for my needs.”
Dave M., 28, Oslo Zithromax (Generic)
“I have bought a lot of medications at this pharmacy and I can tell they only sell quality stuff. Trusted and safe generics and the prices are rather low. A perfect price-quality combination!”
Erin F., 61, Sydney Xanax (Generic)
“During my treatment, I was prescribed a lot of costly medications not covered with insurance. Would’ve never been able to afford them if not for this amazing pharmacy.”
Jacob, 35, Ottawa Prozac (Generic)
"I just love how I can order from home and then get my items delivered for free. No lines, no prescriptions, it’s just like Amazon for pills!”