Product Informationexpand all collapse all
Generic Symmetrel is used in the treatment of parkinson's disease; influenza; influenza prophylaxis; extrapyramidal reaction and belongs to the drug classes adamantane antivirals, dopaminergic antiparkinsonism agents.
Generic Symmetrel's active ingredient Amantadine is thought to increase the release of dopamine in the brain. By increasing dopamine release, amantadine has a mild effect against some of the symptoms of Parkinson's disease such as tremor and rigidity.
How to take
Take this medication exactly as it was prescribed for you. Do not take the medication in larger amounts, or take it for longer than recommended by your doctor. Follow the directions on your prescription label.
Take this medicine with a full glass of water.
If you are taking Generic Symmetrel to treat influenza, start taking the medication within 24 to 48 hours after flu symptoms begin. Keep taking the medication for the entire length of time prescribed by your doctor. Your symptoms may get better before the infection is completely treated.
If you are taking Generic Symmetrel to treat Parkinson symptoms, do not stop taking the medication without first talking to your doctor. If you stop taking Generic Symmetrel suddenly, your condition may become worse.
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
- feeling short of breath, even with mild exertion;
- swelling, rapid weight gain;
- feeling depressed, agitated, or aggressive;
- behavior changes, hallucinations, thoughts of hurting yourself;
- urinating less than usual or not at all;
- high fever, stiff muscles, confusion, sweating, fast or uneven heartbeats, rapid breathing, feeling like you might pass out;
- restless muscle movements in your eyes, tongue, jaw, or neck; or
- tremor (uncontrolled shaking).
- Less serious side effects may include:
- dizziness, drowsiness, headache;
- sleep problems (insomnia), strange dreams;
- feeling nervous;
- nausea, diarrhea, constipation, loss of appetite;
- dry mouth, dry nose; or
- loss of balance or coordination.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur.
Generic Symmetrel can cause side effects that may impair your vision, thinking, or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert and able to see clearly.
Avoid getting up too fast from a sitting or lying position, or you may feel dizzy. Get up slowly and steady yourself to prevent a fall.
Avoid drinking alcohol. It can increase some of the side effects of Generic Symmetrel.
Avoid taking diet pills, caffeine pills, or other stimulants (such as ADHD medications) without your doctor's advice. Taking a stimulant together with Generic Symmetrel can increase your risk of unpleasant side effects.
There have been reports of patients experiencing intense urges to gamble, increased sexual urges, and other intense urges, and the inability to control these urges while taking one or more of the medications that increase central dopaminergic tone and that are generally used for the treatment of Parkinson's disease, including Generic Symmetrel.
Before taking Generic Symmetrel, tell your doctor if you are using any of the following drugs:
- atropine (Atreza, Sal-Tropine, and others);
- dicyclomine (Bentyl);
- glycopyrrolate (Robinul);
- hyoscyamine (Anaspaz, Levbid, Levsin, Nulev, and others);
- mepenzolate (Cantil);
- methscopolamine (Pamine);
- propantheline (Pro-Banthine);
- scopolamine (Maldemar, Scopace, Transderm-Scop).
- quinine (Qualaquin);
- quinidine (Cardioquin, Quinaglute);
- a diuretic (water pill) such as triamterene (Dyrenium), hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ, Dyazide, HydroDiuril, Hyzaar, Lopressor, Vasoretic, Zestoretic), and others; or
- phenothiazines such as prochlorperazine (Compazine), thioridazine (Mellaril), and others.
This list is not complete and there may be other drugs that can interact with Generic Symmetrel.
Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take the medicine at your next regularly scheduled time. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
Jake F., 45, Illinos Standard ED Pack (Generic)
“My ED was giving me nightmares! Yes, I could use Viagra but it was too expensive to buy all the time. That’s why I ordered a generic version at Canadian Pharmacy and could not be happier with the results.”
Janine L., 35, Winnipeg Albuterol
“What I like most about this pharmacy is that they deliver very fast and always package it securely so no one knows what I ordered. It is a big deal for someone who has very nosy neighbours.”
Sandra S., 41, Edinburgh Zyban (Generic)
“It is nice and affordable to buy meds here. I only needed some pills to stop smoking, but I can see they have lots of offers in other categories too. I think I found a perfect pharmacy for my needs.”
Dave M., 28, Oslo Zithromax (Generic)
“I have bought a lot of medications at this pharmacy and I can tell they only sell quality stuff. Trusted and safe generics and the prices are rather low. A perfect price-quality combination!”
Erin F., 61, Sydney Xanax (Generic)
“During my treatment, I was prescribed a lot of costly medications not covered with insurance. Would’ve never been able to afford them if not for this amazing pharmacy.”
Jacob, 35, Ottawa Prozac (Generic)
"I just love how I can order from home and then get my items delivered for free. No lines, no prescriptions, it’s just like Amazon for pills!”